Many homeowners in the area sustained hurricane damage to their homes. Others also experienced flooding. Prior work with clients on their hurricane and flood insurance claims revealed that proper documentation and organization of claims made a huge difference in their outcome. In preparation for your hurricane and/or flood insurance claim, here are some things you should do after the storm:
- Contact your insurance agent or company and report your claim. You must give prompt notice of your loss.
- Document, document, document. Take pictures of everything. Keep receipts of all hurricane and flood related expenses.
- Separate damaged from undamaged property. Do all you can to protect undamaged property, including your home and its contents.
- Make a detailed list of damaged contents (item, brand name, model number, cost, etc.). This will be used with the proof of loss or similar statement submitted for your claim.
- Prepare yourself for the claim process. Finalization and payment of your claim does not happen immediately. It is more akin to a marathon rather than a sprint.
Attorney Jennifer Lee (email@example.com) and Chehardy Sherman Williams work with individuals and business clients on insurance related matters, including hurricane and flood insurance claims. For assistance with your insurance claim, please email Jennifer or call 985.269.7220.