Lawrence Chehardy is one of the founding members of the firm. For thirty-four years, Mr. Chehardy also served as the Assessor of Jefferson Parish, and was the leading authority on Louisiana’s property tax laws. Mr. Chehardy has testified before numerous legislative committees regarding property tax laws and property tax exemptions.
Always a visible contributor to the Louisiana Assessors’ Association, he has served in many key positions including President, Vice-president, and Treasurer of the Louisiana Assessors’ Association. He also served on numerous boards and committees of the association. In addition to speaking to numerous local organizations and civic groups, Mr. Chehardy has also been a guest speaker at the American Bar Association’s Continuing Legal Education Seminar for lawyers as well as the International Association of Assessing Officers’ continuing education seminars.
During his four decade long career, Mr. Chehardy’s ability to navigate politics and push forward legislation has brought landmark results. As the principal architect of post-Katrina and post-Rita legislation, his efforts ensured that property owners whose property was damaged as a result of these hurricanes would not be unfairly taxed on the full value of their property but rather on the value of their property in its damaged condition. This legislation has helped significantly with the rebirth and revitalization of those areas devastated by the storms by reducing the property tax burden in those areas. Since 2016, Mr. Chehardy has served as Chairman of the Louisiana Tax Commission.
Outside of his legal and tax career, Mr. Chehardy has extensive knowledge of politics, political campaigning, and the political process. Mr. Chehardy has been instrumental in the election of numerous candidates through endorsements as well as campaign strategy committees regarding property tax laws and property tax exemptions.
1 Galleria Blvd
Metairie, LA 70001
- Loyola University New Orleans, B.B.A., 1974;
- Loyola University New Orleans, J.D., 1977
- United States Supreme Court
- United States Fifth Circuit Court of Appeal
- United States District Court, Eastern District of Louisiana
- United States District Court, Middle District of Louisiana
- United States District Court, Western District of Louisiana
- Louisiana Supreme Court
- Federal Bar Association – New Orleans Chapter
- Bar Association of the Fifth Federal Circuit
- American Bar Association
- Louisiana State Bar Association
- Jefferson Bar Association
- International Association of Assessing Officers 1977-2010
- Louisiana Assessors’ Association, President, 1998